"I help companies build their brands, engage their audiences
and communicate their compelling stories
through creative, effective communications strategy,
writing, graphic design, and digital media."
About John Fries
I'm a strategist, writer, graphic designer, content creator, and film/TV/ video producer who helps companies build their brands, engage their audiences and communicate their compelling stories to the audiences that matter.
My extensive professional background includes leading the communications departments at several prominent organizations . . . working on some very cool projects at one of the largest ad/PR agencies in the world . . . and providing counsel and creative services to dozens of companie of all sizes and types as an independent contactor.
My passion is to create bold, effective marketing, PR and media strategies and write, design and produce materials and online content to help companies--like yours?--grab attention, reach customers, motivate response, build buzz, and position themselves as the only real choice in a very crowded marketplace.
My resume is here if you want to read it.
But enough about me. The real question is how can I help you?
Please contact me at 412-760-2299 or via email to discuss how I can help your company.
- Provided writing, brand design and public relations services to support the 2017 opening of Macalicious, a gourmet man and cheese restaurant in Santa Fe, NM.
- Developed brand platform and public relations strategy for Prime Stage Theatre, a professional Pittsburgh arts organization, that has been successful in shaping public perception and has resulted in numerous feature media placements. Also, have designed theatre's season posters and collateral materials since 2015.
- Created and produced branded video content for Prime Stage TV, an online channel for Prime Stage Theatre.
- Served as editor-cowriter of the book, "Going the Distance" by long-distance runner and former U.S, Olympics Team hopeful Brandon Hudgins, published August 2017.
- Handled public relations for Pittsburgh visits by Richard Blair, son of author George Orwell ("1984") and Mary Badham, Academy Award- nominated star of the classic film To Kill A a Mockingbird.
- Established Blue Myst Films + Digital, a Pittsburgh collective that writes and produced original films and branded video content.
- Provide strategic counsel and writing, design, branded video production, and online services to help the Vasculitis Foundation, a global medical organization, communicate with its international audience.
- Co-developed marketing, communications and online strategy for the Frick Art & Historical Center's $15 million site expansion project, the largest such project in the museum's history.
- Established the Frick's social media presence and grew audience to 10,000+ followers.
- Led development of Frick members magazine, five websites and online video channel, and served as editor and lead writer.
- Co-produced 100+ episodes of Orthodoxy Now, a weekly, faith-based television interview programthat continues to air in reruns.
- Wrote and directed Blue Myst Road, an original dramatic film about Pittsburgh urban legends that received several media features and recognition in the Pennsylvania Senate.
- Wrote and directed short film used to launch successful $18 million site expansion development campaign for Little Sisters of the Poor.
- Served on the Burson-Marsteller management team that developed branding and positioning for Highmark, Inc., the nation's eighth largest health insurer, and played a key leadership role in developing the organization's award-winning website.
- Developed and executed public relations strategy for the UPMC Passavant Festival of Lights, which drew an estimated 10,000+ visitors annually for three consecutive years and received substantial media attention.
- Supervised internal team in development of award-winning website and online communications strategy for UPMC Passavant that resulted in the generation of patient referrals from across the United States.
- Led 26-member staff in communication of Port Authority of Allegheny County customer service initiatives to 75 million annual riders, authority employees and the public. Also, designed new logo and identity system and led redesign of all collateral materials and publications.
- Developed and coordinated successful public relations initiatives for opening of Shadyside Medical Center-Squirrel Hill (professional building) and rebranding and reintroduction communications Shadyside Hospital Maternity Suites.
- Led development and launch of an innovative communications initiative to alert Duquesne Light customers about the utility's summer storm readiness plans.
- Supervised development of the Pennsylvania Utility Choice website, which enabled consumers to choose their telephone, electricity and gas suppliers. Site received more than 10 million hits.
- Co-developed and oversaw implementation of marketing plan for the Ruth York Morgan Health Education Learning Place at The Washington Hospital, resulting in the center receiving its 1,000th visitor in a matter of months.
- Developed branding, public relations and marketing strategy and collateral materials for national Midlife Crisis Comedy Tour, which featured four prominent stand-up comedians.
- Developed and implemented successful publicity initiatives for Pittsburgh benefit premiere of Desperate Measures, a movie shot in Pittsburgh starring Michael Keaton and Andy Garcia. Event received substantial media attention.
- Developed and implemented national public relations effort for Pizza Hut, Inc. Results: Several million media impressions, including ABC-TV, CBS-TV, NBC-TV, CNN, MTV and feature articles in nearly all major newspapers.
- Developed and implemented strategy for branding, marketing and launch of Qualitech, an innovative technology company. Results: Successful penetration of new markets, sales growth in excess of $1 million, and preferred status among customers.
- Led branding, marketing and communications initiatives and created name and identity for CYLTRAK, a technology-based service pioneered in western PA by Butler Gas Products Co. Efforts received significant trade media attention and resulted in sales growth.